Career Area:Manufacturing & Supply Chain
NOW OFFERING NEW HIRE BONUS OF $1000*
Your Work Shapes the World
Whether it be groundbreaking products, best in class solutions or creating a lifelong career, you can do the work that matters at Caterpillar. With a 95-year legacy of quality and innovation and 150 locations in countries around the world, your impact spans the globe.
When you join Caterpillar, you are joining a team of makers, innovators and doers. We are the people who roll up our sleeves and do the work to build a better world. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation. We make it happen. And we are proud of that, because it helps our customers build and power the world we live in – the roads, hospitals, homes and infrastructure. Without a dedicated workforce Caterpillar could not effectively meet our customer’s needs. Join us.
Job Description Summary
As a Machinist at Caterpillar Inc. you will set up and operate conventional, special purpose and numerical (NC) machines and machining centers to fabricate metallic parts.* Individuals in this classification are fully trained on several machines but not all of the following: CNC Lathes, CNC vertical machining centers, CNC Nissin Horizontal boring mills, manual horizontal boring mills, bridgeport style milling machine, radial arm drills, and hand tools used in the manufacturing process.
- Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations and setup requirements
- Measures, marks and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work piece as guides on machines such as mills, lathes, jig borers, grinders and shapers
- Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow and depth and angle of cut
- Enters commands to retrieve, input or edit computerized machine control media
- Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining and adjusts machine controls or control media as required
- Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specs
- Sets up and operates machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine settings or programmed control data
- Verifies dimensions and alignment of assembly. Installs machined replacement parts in mechanisms, machines, and equipment
- Tests operation of unit to ensure functionality and performance
- Develops specs from general description and draws sketch of part or product to be fabricated
- Confers with engineers, production personnel, programmers or others to resolve machining problems
- Associates degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school OR 6 months to one year of related experience and/or training; OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to read and interpret safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, blueprints, manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to work with mathematical problems and deal with variety of concrete variables
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations
- Regularly required to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms
- Occasionally required to walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and talk and hear
- Occasionally must lift and or move up to 50 lbs.
- Specific vision requirements include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus
- Work environment is typical shop environment - exposure to moving mechanical parts, exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration
- 1 or more years CNC Nissin experience
Being a member of our team is rewarding!
Total Rewards Package available from DAY ONE includes:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Health savings account (HSA)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short and long term disability coverage
- Life Insurance
- Healthy Lifestyle Program
- Employee Assistance Programs
- 401K with 6% company match
- Annual 401K employer contribution of 3%-5%
In addition to Caterpillars Total Rewards Package, you will also receive:
- $ 1,000 New Hire Bonus
- Potential for Quarterly Bonuses
- Overtime based on business need
- Paid holidays and vacation days
- Potential for annual pay increase based on performance
- Full Personal Protective Equipment provided including welding hoods with a cooling filtration system, metatarsal guard steel-toe boots, gloves, safety glasses, etc.
- Pants and jackets provided- laundry service available at no cost to you
- Opportunity to promote to higher welder positions and advance your career
- Bereavement, Jury Duty, Military Duty Paid Benefits, Parental Leave, Adoption Benefits
Additional Information - Machinist II
Starting pay range: $22.56/hr
(*Base hourly rate is starting at $21.09/hr with a 7% night shift premium when working 2nd shift hours.)
Work location: Wamego, KS
Shift: 2nd- Full Time
Hours: 2nd shift – Monday - Thursday, 3:30pm- 2:00am
Overtime on Fridays
*New hire bonus pays $500 after 60 days successful performance and an additional $500 after 6 months of successful performance in the Wamego facility*
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.Caterpillar.com/Careers.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .