MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER
Relocation Assistance Available
WE BUILD WHAT MATTERS
With 2019 sales and revenues of $53.8 billion, Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. Services offered throughout the product life cycle, cutting-edge technology and decades of product expertise set Caterpillar apart, providing exceptional value to help our customers succeed. The company principally operates through three primary segments – Construction Industries, Resource Industries and Energy & Transportation – and provides financing and related services through its Financial Products segment.
As a Mechanical Design Engineer in the Large Power System Division Mechanical Packaging group, you will have an opportunity to direct and participate in the design and development of new generator package cooling systems, heavy and light structures, and rotating components, as well as other complex engineering projects for both new and current products.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Conceives and provides practical product designs using complex technical principles
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to define and meet product requirements
- Prepares concept, design, and development and feasibility studies of complex engineering projects
- Develop and maintain detailed project and validation plans
- Coordinates product test and prototype builds for validation
- Evaluates, defines, and resolves design and manufacturing problems
- Uses technical expertise and product knowledge to support issue resolution by interfacing with the Test and Validation, Service, and Operations teams
- Collaborate on design and validation with global suppliers and facilities
- Engineering or engineering technology degree and 4-7 years’ experience with progressively increasing responsibility and a mastery of complex engineering and manufacturability concepts
- Experience in NPI (New Product Introduction), CPI (Current Product Improvement) or Cost Reduction design and development
- Must have a good mechanical aptitude with ability to develop product concepts
- Requires strong leadership ability and good communications skills
Top Candidates will also have:
- Master’s degree in engineering, or equivalent experience
- High level of proficiency in Pro/E or other modeling or simulation tools
- Cooling system, structures, or rotating components design experience
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience working in a fast paced globally located teams
- Location of this position is in Lafayette, IN
- Relocation assistance is available for this position
- This position may require less than 10% travel.
- This position will close on Sunday, August 14, , 2022 at 11:59 PM CST.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .