Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
Our common values and focus on inclusion and respect drive the decisions made by our company, teams and people. This is why we are committed to hiring and building diverse teams representative of the customers we serve globally. When you join our team, you can apply your unique life and job experiences and work in an environment where your ideas are heard, your contributions are celebrated, and your whole-self matters.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
About Cat Financial
Cat Financial is a subsidiary of Caterpillar Inc., the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, off-highway diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. For more than 40 years, Cat Financial has provided a wide range of financing solutions to customers and Cat® dealers for machines, engines, Solar® gas turbines, genuine Cat parts and services. Headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee, Cat Financial serves customers globally with offices and subsidiaries located throughout North and South America, Asia, Australia, Europe and Africa. Visit cat.com to learn more about Cat Financial.
JOB SUMMARY: Under limited supervision, conduct a wide variety of intricate and complex accounting duties and projects. Assignments and work are generally broad in nature requiring a broad knowledge of accounting practices and procedures, originality and ingenuity. Has appreciable latitude for unreviewed actions and decisions. May make recommendations for changes in policies and procedures to correct accounting related problems and processes. May provide training, guidance and check the work of less experienced accounting staff. May research and provide guidance on proper classification of transactions.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: A wide variety of responsibilities may exist within the various Accounting units. Responsibilities vary, but may include one or more of the following duties:
1. Under limited supervision, performs a wide variety of intricate and complex accounting duties. Duties and responsibilities will be focused primarily toward activities requiring the use of in-depth accounting knowledge, practices and principles as well as ingenuity and originality. Appreciable latitude for unreviewed actions and decisions are within the scope of delegated authority.
2. Analyzes financial reports and records, and may make studies or recommendations relative to the accounting of reserves, assets and expenditures.
3. May review and verify the accuracy of journal entries and accounting classifications assigned to various records.
4. When inconsistencies or problems occur which are outside delegated authority, they are brought to the attention of management. Recommendations are made to management regarding the proper means by which to resolve these issues.
5. May make recommendations for changes in policies and procedures to correct accounting related problems and processes.
6. Applies a broad knowledge of advanced accounting methods and procedures.
7. May coordinate and review lower-level accounting work assignments for accuracy and completeness.
8. May participate in accounting system development, determining specifications, testing and implementation.
9. May lead a project as a team leader.
10. Understands the established continuous improvement objectives for the department. Measures progress toward the continuous improvement standards and ensure that the necessary measurements are maintained. Participates in the resolution of any identified problems. Analyzes data and makes all business decisions based on such analysis.
11. Understands the Harassment policy of the company and is responsible for its application in all aspects of employment.
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND KNOWLEDGE:
1. Demonstrated ability to work independently.
2. Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
3. Demonstrated ingenuity and innovation.
4. Demonstrated knowledge of ability to apply math computation skills including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as, statistics and other mathematical concepts used in modeling.
5. Thorough knowledge of accounting distribution and ability to verify correctness and completeness of such information.
6. Thorough knowledge of U.S. GAAP and FASB regulations and procedures as they related to the particular area of accounting.
7. Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to use the software packages utilized by Accounting.
8. Demonstrated ability to create and maintain advanced Excel spreadsheets and Word documents.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or a Bachelor’s Degree in another discipline plus 18 credit hours of Accounting, or successful completion of the Certified Public Accounting (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) exam or the international equivalent. A minimum of 2-4 years of exempt accounting experience is recommended.
DISCLAIMER: The preceding job description has been designed to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive summary of all responsibilities, duties and effort required of employees assigned to this job. At the discretion of management, this description may be changed at anytime to address the evolving needs of the organization.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .