Career Area:Information Analytics
Your Work Shapes the World
Whether it be groundbreaking products, best in class solutions or creating a lifelong career, you can do the work that matters at Caterpillar. With a 95-year legacy of quality and innovation and 150 locations in countries around the world, your impact spans the globe.
When you join Caterpillar, you are joining a team of makers, innovators and doers. We are the people who roll up our sleeves and do the work to build a better world. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation. We make it happen. And we are proud of that because it helps our customers build and power the world we live in – the roads, hospitals, homes and infrastructure. Without a dedicated workforce Caterpillar could not effectively meet our customer’s needs. Join us.
Caterpillar uses quantitative methods such as business simulations, data mining, modeling and advanced statistical techniques to solve problems. The Lead DevOps Engineer contributes to this mission by acting as the technical lead of analytics project teams tasked with solving problems of medium to high complexity and may also be viewed as a technical expert in a particular analytics approach, related digital technology, or business domain.
Job duties include but are not limited to the following:
Caterpillar uses quantitative techniques to solve problems for internal and external Caterpillar customers. Typical problems include maximizing Operating Profit After Capital Charge through improvements in Inventory Costs, Material Costs, New Produce Introduction costs, etc.; determining the principal drivers of health care costs; recommending the optimal supplier for a part; identifying sales, rental, and service opportunities for Caterpillar dealers; and developing simulation/optimization capabilities to model a new facility or product feature. In addition, analytics experts also provide assistance to high-profile enterprise-wide projects such as the Engineered Value Chain.
As a Lead DevOps Engineer you will contribute to strategy, design, development, testing and deployment of software systems and/or applications.
- Competent to perform all pipeline development, deployment, programming, project management, and development assignments without close supervision; normally assigned the more complex aspects of systems work.
- Aligning security best practices and implementations with corporate standards, participating in detailed security reviews with enterprise security leadership.
- Owning and remediating any security best practices, including accountability for security related incidents and resolutions.
- Defining and delegating work streams, and coaching other members of our DevOps team.
- Works directly on complex application/technicalproblem identification and resolution, including responding to off-shift and weekend support calls.
- Works independently on complex systems or infrastructure components that may be used by one or more applications or systems.
- Drives application development focused around delivering business valuable features.
- Maintains high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and habits.
- Identifies and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team.
- Communicate with end users and internal customers to help direct development, debugging, and testing of application software for accuracy, integrity, interoperability and completeness.
- Performs integrated testing and customer acceptance testing of components that requires careful planning and execution to ensure timely, quality results.
- Ability to work fluidly and collaboratively with other technical domain experts on a dynamic set of projects.
- Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
- Position requires a four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
- 8 years or more of software development experience or at least 5 years of experience with master’s degree in computer science or related field.
- Five years or more of experience in designing and developing software applications, or at least three years of experience preferably in python (3.x) with master’s degree in computer science or related field.
- Ability to work both as a team and completely autonomously in enterprise cloud environments.
- Ability to coordinate working with multiple teams to get tasks completed from start to finish.
- Proven track record of working with and helping team members of a lower skill level improve their skills and understand issues on a technical level.
Top Candidate Will Also Have:
- Experience designing, developing, and deploying cloud-based solutions for data ingestion, curation, and machine learning applications at scale.
- Understanding of Infrastructure as Code technologies such as CloudFormation and AWS CDK for DevOps/MLOps. Knolwedge of CI/CD solutions.
- Experience with Docker, Git, Python, R, Spark, Scala, TypeScript, SQL, UNIX/Shell along with basic knowledge of common data science libraries.
- Experience developing/utilizing AWS Step Functions, Lambda, Glue, DynamoDB, SageMaker, ECR, EC2 S3, SQS, SNS, IAM, Logging/CloudWatch or equivalent.
- Comfortable with writing and maintaining ETL and ML code.
- Experience with Data Modeling and Snowflake Data Warehouse.
- Debugging and maintaining software in Linux or Unix platforms
- Experience with data/file types such as JSON, YAML, parquet, HDF5, or other big data file formats.
- Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum)
- AWS Certifications
- Location: Irving, TX; Chicago, IL, will consider consider candidates who live within 50 miles of a CAT Facility
- Domestic relocation is available for those who qualify
- Less than 10% travel is expected
Employee benefit details:
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just a salary, because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides day one benefits [medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401(k)] along with the potential of an annual bonus.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.Caterpillar.com/Careers
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .