Your Work Shapes the World
Whether it be groundbreaking products, best in class solutions or creating a lifelong career, you can do the work that matters at Caterpillar. With a 95-year legacy of quality and innovation and 150 locations in countries around the world, your impact spans the globe.
When you join Caterpillar, you are joining a team of makers, innovators, and doers. We are the people who roll up our sleeves and do the work to build a better world. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation. We make it happen. And we are proud of that, because it helps our customers build and power the world we live in – the roads, hospitals, homes, and infrastructure. Without a dedicated workforce Caterpillar could not effectively meet our customer’s needs. Join us.
Responsible for acting as Product Owner for larger, more complex projects with high value to the organization in Product Safety & Compliance.
The Product Owner works as a member of a Scrum Team to maximize the value of the product and the work of the Scrum Development Team. The Product Owner works intimately with the ScrumMaster and the Development Team. The Product Owner’s primary task is to create and manage the Product Backlog and to ensure everyone knows the priorities of the Product Backlog. The Product Owner is empowered to make all decisions regarding the Product Backlog. The Product Owner is typically the individual closest to the business side of the project.
- Responsible for maximizing the value of the product and the work of the Development Team
- Responsible for acting as Product Owner for larger, more complex projects with high value to the organization
- Responsible for creating, maintaining, and prioritizing the Product Backlog according to business value for the life of the project
- Communicate Product Backlog priorities to the team
- Act as the key decision-maker regarding what features the product will have
- Responsible for the vision of what is to be built, and conveying that vision to the team
- Assists with the elaboration of epics, themes and features into user stories that are small enough, or granular enough, to be achieved in a single sprint
- Responsible for conveying the vision and goals at the beginning of every sprint
- Work closely with key stakeholders throughout the organization
- Responsible for making decisions on release dates and content
- Represent the customer, interfacing and engaging with the customer
- Participate in Daily Scrum calls
- Participate in Sprint Planning meetings, Reveals and Retrospectives
- Inspect the product progress at the end of every Sprint and accept or reject the work that has been done by the Development Team
- Act as the voice of the team, communicating status externally
- Be a good role model of Scrum values; understand the framework and the roles of each team member
- Typically serves as a Black Belt or team member on one or more 6 Sigma Projects
Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties occasionally, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, engineering, or a related field
- 7-10 years of progressively responsible job-related experience
- Experience with .NET framework
- Experience programming in SQL
- Experience with Agile methodology
Top candidates will also have
- Background in Information Technology
- Experience managing projects using Agile software tools such as Mingle, VSTS, JIRA, Team Services, Rally, etc
- Experience working with onshore/offshore team model
- Demonstrated ability to empower teams, indirect leadership, and as a self-starter
- Demonstrated ability to listen and understand requirements of the business
- Strong accountability in planning/organization, teamwork, interpersonal skills, and communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate appropriately to ensure a team’s success
- Domain expert in business applications
- Knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and demonstrated experience employing SDLC in aspects of the project management process
- Highly developed interpersonal skills to deal with sensitive, emotional, or potentially controversial situations
- Product Owner certification (CSPO from Scrum Alliance)
- Good knowledge of Caterpillar policies, standards, procedures, and a broad understanding of Caterpillar’s organization
The location for this position is Peoria, IL.
Domestic relocation assistance is available for this position.
This position will require less than 10% travel.
Employee benefit details
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just a salary because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides benefits on day one (medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401K) along with the potential of an annual bonus.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.Caterpillar.com/Careers .
For more information, visit caterpillar.com. To connect with us on social media, visit caterpillar.com/social-media
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .