Numbers matter. Also relationships.
At Caterpillar, a career in accounting is not about numbers. It's about helping us make smart and ethical financial decisions. You may not physically make Cat® products, but the guidance you provide helps make what we do possible. That is why we look for accountants who operate with the highest levels of integrity, people with the skills and confidence to act as trusted advisors. Your financial experience matters, of course, but you'll be successful here if you also:
- A strong communicator, leader and decision maker
- Energetic and tenacious
- Ready to learn
- Committed to building strong relationships with the people you serve
To independently perform accounting functions which require preparation, analysis and communication of issues of normal to high complexity that support Caterpillar business processes.
Incumbent will provide technical expertise and perform complex accounting work that supports business processes. Additionally, this position will:
- Have a comprehensive understanding of Caterpillar’s business and accounting practices, systems
- Apply and provide guidance on accounting issues
- Resolve issues independently
- Participate on and lead teams addressing complex problems
Incumbents will be exposed to a variety of accounting functions and will accomplish a high level of complex and/or technical analysis, analyze various outputs, advise others (both accountants and non-accountants), resolve issues and communicate these outcomes. In some cases, will participate in strategy development. Works on challenging, medium to high risk issues and makes decisions and recommendations as appropriate.
Possible areas of responsibility are varied, including:
- Internal management accounting, including profit center, service center, distribution services, strategic business, integrated manufacturing, and component business unit reporting estimating various forecast and budget scenarios as needed based on changing business conditions
- Presentation and explanation of results to management
- Determining Internal Rate of Return (IRR) for high complexity projects
- NPI support including future cost, should cost, alternative analyses and strategy
- OPACC determination & analysis
- Financial accounting including preparation of journal entries, financial statements, variance analysis, and account reconciliations
- Inventory accounting and standard cost revision
- Development and maintenance of internal controls, including Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) control documentation
Possible areas of support include:
- Accountable Reporting
- Cost Accounting / Decision Support
- Legal Entity Reporting
Accounting tasks are of high complexity such as business unit consolidations, system support and development, worldwide coordination of product cost information, standard cost revision coordination, inventory analysis, variable margin analysis, consolidations, balance sheet analysis, and cash flow projections. Advises and provides guidance to multiple functional areas and levels of authority. Incumbents will demonstrate knowledge and ability to handle accounting issues independently.
- Degree in accounting or finance
- 4-6 years of accounting experience
- Fluent English
- Must demonstrate initiative, leadership, good judgment and accountability.
- Incumbents will demonstrate very good communication skills and have a comprehensive knowledge of Caterpillar businesses, products, suppliers and customers.
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
The Caterpillar Code of Conduct states that we will select and place employees based on their qualifications for the job to be performed, without regard to race, religion, national origin, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age or disability. In this company we do not request pregnancy tests, nor HIV tests as requirements for employment entry, permanence or promotion.
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .