The Caterpillar Experience
Do the work that matters at Caterpillar – provide groundbreaking products, deliver best-in-class solutions, and create a lifelong career. Caterpillar’s 95-year legacy of quality and innovation and its locations around the world means your work will have an impact that spans the globe.
When you join Caterpillar, you are joining a team of makers, innovators, and doers. We are the people who roll up our sleeves and do the work to build a better world. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation – we make it happen. And we are proud of that because Caterpillar helps its customers build and power the world. Join us.
The candidate will work closely with business unit-aligned patent attorneys to manage patent-obtaining work, including the preparation and prosecution of patent applications around the world. The candidate will direct outside counsel in the preparation of most work, as well as prepare patent applications and responses to office actions as needed.
The candidate will work closely with attorneys, engineers, service providers, and other team members to protect Caterpillar’s inventions. The candidate may also perform research and analysis, provide guidance on patent issues, and act as a liaison for interdepartmental initiatives.
The candidate will also work in close coordination with business unit-aligned patent attorneys to identify patents and develop patent applications in preparation for enforcement activity.
The Caterpillar IP team has broad international exposure to IP matters and provides the opportunity to work closely with colleagues spread over the globe. The role requires a highly motivated individual that is looking for autonomy and flexibility but is also looking to be part of an enthusiastic team.
· 4-year college or university degree in a science or technology-related field, such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, or physics
· Registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office as a patent agent or patent attorney
Top Candidate Will Also Have:
· A strong background and experience with patent protection related to construction equipment or automotive technology
· Strong organizational skills
· Excellent communication skills
· A willingness to undertake occasional business travel to liaise with inventors, business unit professionals, and other members of the Intellectual Property team.
· Location: Peoria, IL, but may also consider Irving, TX
· Domestic Relocation is offered to those who qualify
· 5-10% of travel is expected
· "IL - Country of United States" is used for posting reasons only.
Employee benefit details:
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just a salary because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides day one benefits [medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401(k)] along with the potential of an annual bonus based on Company performance.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application, please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.Caterpillar.com/Careers
#LIRelocation is available for this position.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .