Career Area:Purchasing & Procurement
CATEGORY BUYER II – REYNOSA
A chance to make quality products that matter.
How does it feel to make something that makes life better for people around the globe? As a Caterpillar manufacturing professional, you’ll know—because every day you’ll make sure our customers get the quality products they need to build our world’s infrastructure. And you’ll do it in modern, clean, safe environments equipped with the latest technologies.
Provides supply network solutions expertise, using Quality, Cost, Logistics, Development, and Management (QCLDM) to deliver maximum value.
JOB RELATED STATISTICS: Attributes will typically fall into the following levels:
§Business Partner Impact: Multiple to single Business Units
§Market Difficulty: Leverage or Acquisition
§Process Difficulty: Moderately complex to simple
§Spend: Generally up to $50 - 100 million
Major Role: - To serve as the primary contact between Caterpillar and the supply base for global/regional initiatives, including filling the functional seat for commercial discussions/negotiations with suppliers, being the recognized expert for his or her assigned portion of the global category, supports development and execution of global category strategies, and drives performance excellence in Quality, Cost, Logistics, Development, and Management (QCLDM) through direct leverage with the supply base partnering with Supplier Development Professional (SDP) personnel and Product/Facility Procurement organizations. Buyer may also be a Supplier Lead for suppliers with multiple source buyers. This Supplier Lead role will help to manage the supplier relationship for that supplier’s location including but not limited to Supplier Relationship Mgmt., Supplier Performance Mgmt., Cost Mgmt., Risk Mgmt., and Category Network Mgmt. This role is responsible and accountable for the development, and/or communication and implementation of a regional, and worldwide sourcing strategy. Responsible for development, management and execution of the global category strategy managing policies, agreements, source catalogs, and special procurement programs. Accountable for the liaison with the corresponding source buyers.
Leadership - Provide leadership for strategic sourcing -qualified supply network, business continuity, supplier risk management – capacity & financial, logistics, contract management, supplier commercial negotiations, cost/spend management – TCA assurance, supplier on boarding/off boarding, lead/response time optimization and resource management decisions. Lead continuous improvement initiatives and purchasing new product introduction activities within Purchasing. Demonstrate leadership in recognizing the potential for cost and inventory reductions, and quality improvement; as well as responsibility for soundness of business proposals and risk assessment. Mentor and develop other Category Buyers, SDEs, and Supply Network Specialists (where assigned). Promote the highest level of professionalism and business ethics.
Strategy- Tools and Techniques of 6 Sigma will be required and may be attained by Black Belt, Green Belt, Project Sponsor, or other 6 Sigma related training programs. The incumbent will actively participate on 6 Sourcing Strategic Sourcing teams to fully understand the current performance of the supply network, evaluate strategic options, decide a course of action, and begin implementation. The incumbent must also have strong knowledge of the product, NPI, Facility, Manufacturing, Supply Chain and Category Strategies.
Supplier Development: - Collaborate with Supplier Development Engineers, to ensure continuous improvement in QCLDM with key suppliers. Build and foster mutually beneficial supplier relationships at all organizational levels.
Travel: The position may require frequent travel.
- Experience is preferred in purchasing, logistics, manufacturing, and/or engineering.
- The position requires an undergraduate degree from a college or university – or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible job-related experience.
- Professional certification in Purchasing and/or Inventory Management preferred, e.g.; Certified Purchasing Manager (C.P.M.), Certified in Production and Inventory management (CPIM) and Certified in Integration Resource Management (CIRM), or comparable international certification.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills are required in dealing with sensitive issues, developing others, and reaching consensus on specific actions.
- This individual normally possesses category team or product team experience.
- Functional leadership. Capable of leading teams, suppliers and customers to effective solutions.
- Analytical, problem solving, and project leadership skill.
- Effective communicator, in written and oral form. Fluent in the English language and preferred other languages.
- Understanding of Lean Manufacturing principles as applied by Caterpillar and our suppliers.
- Strong Negotiator, able to interpret, analyze and negotiate contractual cost elements.
- Understanding of QCLDM
- This position requires intermediate English.
The Caterpillar Code of Conduct states that we will select and place employees based on their qualifications for the job to be performed, without regard to race, religion, national origin, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age or disability. In this company we do not request pregnancy tests, nor HIV tests as requirements for employment entry, permanence or promotion.
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to
know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .