WE BUILD WHAT MATTERS There’s more to work at Caterpillar than just the work itself. We hire smart, friendly people and it shows in our culture. We hold ourselves to high standards and make sure our values of integrity, excellence, teamwork, commitment and sustainability come to life in the way we work. We make sure our employees feel continuously challenged while also supported. We provide professional growth opportunities, including leadership programs. We celebrate the diversity of our team, while also working together as one Caterpillar.
Our culture, like everything at our company, is made possible by each employee’s contribution. Person by person, we create the environment we work in, and we are proud of the Caterpillar we’ve built.
The Corporate Counsel will deliver comprehensive legal support for trademark matters. Caterpillar offers a broad-based trademark practice in service of Caterpillar’s brands, which are ranked among the Top 100 Best Global Brands by Interbrand. The incumbent will report to the Associate General Counsel, Global Trademark & Copyright Strategy, with immediate team members in the U.S., Europe, and China managing a trademark portfolio of approximately 15,000 applications and registrations.
The successful candidate is expected to provide primary trademark prosecution and enforcement support for Caterpillar’s core marks in North America, Central America, and South America. This incumbent is also expected to provide global support for Caterpillar’s Rail team and Caterpillar’s robust licensed merchandise program. The incumbent will also be responsible for oversight of the company’s online marketplace enforcement efforts. Some travel, including international travel, is expected.
The role will provide leadership and legal expertise on significant IP related issues including trademark & copyright prosecution and enforcement; conduct analysis and provide counsel to business leaders at all levels; be accountable to assess legal risk; and identify and contribute to resolution of legal issues with a broad band of IP risk exposure. The Corporate Counsel – Global Trademark & Copyright Strategy will work closely with CAT business unit leadership and staff, as well as Lead Counsel and other members of the Intellectual Property team and collaborate with relevant functional and regional IP legal teams to ensure the provision of responsive and high-quality legal support globally.
- Requires a law degree, as well as 3 – 8 years of trademark experience, preferably with a corporate law department, a law firm serving top global brands, or a national Trademark Office
- Active Bar admission in any U.S. state
- Must have considerable experience in the practice of U.S. and international trademark law
- Must have a demonstrated record of interpreting and communicating the substance of complex trademark law issues and the ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision.
- Significant direct client experience is strongly preferred
- Trademark licensing experience and at least general experience with copyright, patent, and trade dress matters is preferred
- Ability to collaborate vertically and horizontally, across levels and various business functions, and with external parties
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills with demonstrated ability to impact, influence, and negotiate with internal and external resources
- Results-oriented - willing to take initiative, identify risks, make decisions and take responsibilities to resolve IP related problems and improve IP related results
- Spanish or Portuguese language skills are helpful
- This position is located in Peoria, IL or Irving, TX
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.Caterpillar.com/Careers .
Employee benefit details
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just an hourly wage, because we value your performance, we offer a total rewards package that provides day one benefits (medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401K) along with the potential of a monthly bonus.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .