Numbers matter. So do relationships.
At Caterpillar, a career in accounting isn’t about numbers. It’s about helping us make smart, ethical financial decisions. You may not physically build Cat® products, but the guidance you provide helps make what we make possible. That’s why we seek accountants who operate with the highest levels of integrity—individuals with the skills and confidence to act as trusted advisors .
To independently perform staff level accounting functions that deal with cost accounting and business analysis issues of normal complexity to support business processes and provide further experience with Caterpillar cost accounting and decision support practices.
Related Statistics : Varies
From the outset, the Staff Accountant I will be expected to be a contributing performer, performing accounting work that supports business processes. Additionally, this position will:
-develop an expanded understanding of Caterpillar’s business and accounting practices, systems and procedures;
-apply accounting knowledge
-participate on and lead teams
The incumbent will be exposed to a variety of accounting functions and will perform a high level of compilation with a broad range of analysis work. The Staff Accountant I will review clerical input, advise salaried employees and entry-level accountants, generate reports and provide related commentary. The Staff Accountant I will review and validate relevant data and data sources, analyze information and provide feedback. Incumbent works on challenging, low to medium risk issues and makes decisions and recommendations as appropriate. Work will be directed by an accounting supervisor primarily through review of progress and results.
Possible areas of responsibility are varied, including:
- Cost system maintenance
- Normals and machine rate development
- Abnormals identification & reporting
- Prime product and/or component cost monitoring & analysis
- Operations and/or product group budgeting and expense analysis
- Capital expenditure forecasting and reporting
- Standard and current cost grief resolution
- Determining Internal Rate of Return (IRR) for low to medium complexity projects
- Standard cost setting and analysis
Interacts with multiple functional areas and levels of authority. The Staff Accountant I is capable of handling complex accounting issues such as:
- Capital asset justifications
- Current product cost monitoring
- Establishing and monitoring target costs
The Staff Accountant I will demonstrate knowledge and ability to independently handle accounting issues. They will demonstrate good communication skills and have an expanded knowledge of Caterpillar’s businesses, products, suppliers and customers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Accountant, Finance and/or Business Administration.
- Must demonstrate strong leadership, initiative, inter-personal skills and the ability to communicate effectively.
- 5 years of accounting experience is required in maquila environment.
- English Advanced (80% / 90%)
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office.
All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .