Career Area:Manufacturing & Supply Chain
As a 2nd Shift Weld Section Manager at Caterpillar in South Milwaukee, you will provide leadership to welders, fitters, and production leads in our weld and gear weld departments. You will focus on driving improvements to Caterpillar’s goals in People, Quality, Velocity, and Cost. You will work closely with a 1st shift Section Manager to support a 24/7 operation. The Gear Weld/Weld value streams produce large weldments and gears used for Prime Product and Aftermarket sales of Electric Rope Shovel, Dragline, and Hydraulic Mining Shovel products.
JOB RELATED STATISTICS:
Personnel: Typically 15-30 team members as direct reports
Job Duties Include but not limited to:
1. Monitor, improve, and champion safety on the shop floor; eliminate any unsafe operations and ensure a safe and clean product environment.
2. Determines processing needs to assure tooling and methods are provided to meet schedules and production requirements.
3. Daily tie-in with production management to designate workload, priorities and sequence for work assigned.
4. Determines overtime need, determines priorities when resources are insufficient, and decides when disciplinary action is necessary.
5. Suggest changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency. Works to improve processes, timeliness and reduce costs by eliminating non-value-added activities.
6. Ensures the quality of product produced and conforms to Caterpillars Quality Policy while maintaining cost and continuing the value streams Built In Quality (BIQ) journey.
7. Ensure necessary parts and materials are ordered and distributed in a timely and efficient manner
8. Implement various corporate initiatives such as 5S, Lean Manufacturing, 6 Sigma, CQMS/ISO certification, etc.
9. Responsible for training and development of staff, time keeping, estimating personnel needs, assigning work, meeting completion dates, and ensuring consistent application of organizational needs.
· People skills including but not limited to: excellent communication, relationship building, teamwork, and collaboration.
· 3+ years of shop floor experience and have a mechanical aptitude.
· Proficient with all Microsoft Office products.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Top Candidate will also have:
· Data driven bias to action with high focus on PQVC.
· Cross functional experience in areas of Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, and/or Supply Management.
· 2+ years of leadership and supervisory experience.
· Able to work with a diverse group of employees and customers.
· Have a thorough knowledge of CPS processes and tools, weld shop operations, equipment, and processes plus familiarity with materials and quality objectives.
· Willingness to work outside of normal work hours including overtime and alternate shifts due to business needs.
· Employee may be required to move items weighing up to 35 pounds.
· Knowledge or experience with software/tools (Robotic Process Automation, Microsoft Power Automate, etc.) to improve automation of tasks.
· Production shift hours: 3pm – 11pm (Pre/Post work expected outside of these hours)
· This position will also set direction for a 3rd shift weld team.
· Position collaborates with 1st shift Section Manager who owns overall weld shop responsibility.
· Relocation assistance is available for this position.
The location for this position is South Milwaukee, WI
Relocation assistance is available for this position for those that would qualify
Employee benefit details:
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just a salary because we value your performance. We offer a total rewards package that provides day one benefits [medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401(k)] along with the potential of an annual bonus.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for the position who now or in the future require sponsorship employment visa status: however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers
This position has been evaluated using Hay Standard Process and has taken into consideration the organizational structure and reporting relationship. Any deviation from the information above may impact the evaluation of this position.
This Job Description is intended as a general guide to the job duties for this position and is intended for the purpose of establishing the specific salary grade. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive summary of all responsibilities, duties and effort required of employees assigned to this job. At the discretion of management, this description may be changed at any time to address the evolving needs of the organization. It is expressly not intended to be a comprehensive list of “essential job functions” as that term is defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .