What does it mean to live the Caterpillar Experience?
It means you play a part in building a better world. You contribute to a winning culture—a spirit of accountability—that has driven change on every continent for more than 90 years. To work with us is a commitment to improve sustainability, invent for the digital age and innovate in order to bring solutions to millions of people. Sure, you work for Caterpillar. But more importantly, you work for the good of your career, your family, your community, and your world.
Your Work Shapes the World
Whether it be groundbreaking products, best in class solutions or creating a lifelong career, you can do the work that matters at Caterpillar. With a 95-year legacy of quality and innovation and 150 locations in countries around the world, your impact spans the globe.
When you join Caterpillar, you are joining a team of makers, innovators and doers. We are the people who roll up our sleeves and do the work to build a better world. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation. We make it happen. And we are proud of that because it helps our customers build and power the world we live in – the roads, hospitals, homes, and infrastructure. Without a dedicated workforce Caterpillar could not effectively meet our customer’s needs. Join us.
Caterpillar Inc. is seeking an attorney to join its in-house legal division as part of its Procurement Legal Team. This individual will provide legal support on a variety of commercial transactions and provide advice and counsel related to Caterpillar’s relationships with its strategic suppliers. The role will require frequent interaction with business clients, including Caterpillar’s senior procurement and business unit leadership, as well as with other lawyers within Law, Security & Public Policy.
A successful candidate should be comfortable managing a large volume of commercial matters, be skilled at prioritization, and be able to adjust quickly to accommodate business needs. Responsiveness and efficiency are critical components of the position.
Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Drafting and negotiating a wide variety of contracts, including technology agreements, software license agreements, cloud agreements, telecommunications agreements, consulting agreements and others;
- Working with internal clients to ensure agreements accurately reflect business needs and protect Caterpillar;
- Counseling business clients on risks inherent in agreements;
- Working with Caterpillar’s regional and substantive lawyers to ensure agreements properly reflect Enterprise risk tolerances and are otherwise drafted and managed in accordance with Enterprise Board Resolutions, Policies and Procedures;
- Working with outside counsel on a limited, but as needed basis; and
- Maintaining excellent relationships with internal clients and colleagues to be a valued member of the Caterpillar Legal team.
We are seeking candidates with 6+ years of experience, who are capable of managing complex agreements efficiently and without a great deal of assistance. The individual should have:
- Strong academic credentials;
- A J.D. from an accredited United States law school and membership of the State Bar of any U.S. state;
- 6+ years of legal experience drafting complex agreements;
- Familiarity with, or willingness to learn global data privacy concepts, including understanding contractual requirements for the cross-border transfer of personal information, including requirements under the GDPR and the CCPA;
- Solid work experience and a strong track record of success with mid to large clients;
- Superior drafting and communication skills; and
- The ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with business clients and legal colleagues.
Limited travel may be required to see internal clients and lawyers, with an expectation of approximately 10%, depending on the location of the successful candidate.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.Caterpillar.com/Careers .
Employee benefit details:
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just an hourly wage, because we value your performance, we offer a total rewards package that provides day one benefits (medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401K) along with the potential of a monthly bonus.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .